Being Skinny VS. Being Thick

on Thursday, March 21, 2013

As an 18 year old female, I can honestly say that I’ve struggled with a TON of body issues.

It can start off from the way we see ourselves, and increase in depth because of the way others see us.

When I was a kid, I didn’t use to care much and nothing seemed to matter.

You can be young and live life care free, not worrying about anything; your young mind can’t comprehend actual struggles (to a certain extent.)

Then you get older and everything starts becoming apparent.

You’re hair is not perfect.

You’re face is not perfect.

You’re not skinny enough.

You’re not pretty enough.

You’re just not good enough.

All the thoughts that torture your mind. It doesn’t help that we live in a world today where beauty is everything. Everything is all about fashion and looks. Every model is stick thin, which gives young girls, and any female for that matter, a negative mindset that being skinny is a must , and there’s literally no way around it.

And even if you are already skinny, it can make you think “you’re too fat.”

I used to go to a public school when I was very young, around the same time I was transitioning to homeschool; I had this one friend who wasn’t a size zero, figuratively speaking, and she continuously got bullied for that.

Who gives us the right to taunt and humiliate people for body weight? This causes plenty of insecurities, depression and can even trigger people into a pro-ana/pro-mia lifestyle.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have thick/curvy people bullying others for being skinny.

Another story; I have a friend who’s 17, and weighs 98 pounds. She constantly gets teased for how skinny she is. Yes, people, this is a reality. It can be thick people who tease her, maybe from their own insecurities, to even family members and classmates.

In her own words, (non-verbatim) she has said: I know I am skinny and sometimes I hate it.

Who gives you the right to put your hands around my waist and tell me ‘oh you’re so small!’?! You wouldn’t go up to a fat person, put your hands around their waist and say ‘oh you’re so big!’. And who gives you the right to tell me to eat a steak?! You wouldn’t tell a fat person ‘you need to eat a salad!’”

- Just one of the many stories of young girls who are taunted because of their looks.

When will the world realize that everyone is beautiful? There literally is NO SUCH THING as an ugly person.

The extremely sad part about this is, these afflictions aren’t only subjected to females alone. Plenty of young boys, and males in general face the same exact thing. The criticism is endless. I can’t tell you that this will ever stop because it won’t. As long as our society advances, so will the ridicule.

What I can tell you, is not to beat yourself up over how much you weigh. You are more than just the gap between your thighs.



View the
Original article

0 comments: